Pecan pie in bar form. The addition of chocolate really takes these bars over the top!
Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Bars
Yields: 16 bars
Total Time: 1 hr.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 2 oz. granulated sugar (approximately ¼ cup)
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz. all-purpose flour (approximately 1 ¼ cups)
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz. brown sugar (approximately ½ cup, packed)
- 2 oz. pure maple syrup
- 1 oz. heavy cream
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. pecans (approximately 1 ½ cups), roughly chopped
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips (approximately ½ heaping cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 8 x 8-inch baking pan by spraying the bottom with nonstick cooking spray or lining with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the sides for easy removal.
- Place the softened butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Beat in the salt and flour until combined – mixture will be crumbly.
- Press the crust into the baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly while preparing the filling.
- Whisk the egg in a large bowl until foamy.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients – brown sugar, maple syrup, heavy cream, melted butter, vanilla extract, salt, pecans, and chocolate chips.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for an additional 30 – 35 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving. Store in the refrigerator.
These bars are the perfect combination of sweet pecan filling, chocolate morsels, and a crispy buttery crust.
The crust consists of granulated sugar, softened unsalted butter, kosher salt, and all-purpose flour. An egg, brown sugar, maple syrup, heavy cream, melted unsalted butter, vanilla extract, pecans, and dark chocolate chips make up the filling.
First up – the shortbread crust. Place softened butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
Beat in the salt and flour.
This mixture will be crumbly.
Pour the crust into a prepared 8 x 8 inch pan. You can spray the bottom with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment.
Press the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan.
Bake for 15 minutes – this will ensure we have a nice, crispy crust. The edges will be slightly golden brown. Once the crust is done, let it cool while you prepare the filling.
Place an egg in a large bowl.
And whisk until foamy.
Then whisk in the remaining ingredients for the filling.
Brown sugar, maple syrup, heavy cream, melted butter, vanilla extract, salt, pecans, and chocolate chips – aka everything delicious in the world.
Pour the filling over the crust and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes.
If you gently shake the pan, the filling should be set.
Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Store these tasty treats in the refrigerator.
So tempting to eat these all in one sitting…