Banana muffins. Perfect for breakfast or a snack – these muffins are full of bananas, cinnamon, and pecans!
Banana Pecan Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 15 min
- 6 oz. all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 oz. butter (1 stick)
- 4 oz. brown sugar (approximately ½ cup, packed)
- 4 oz. (2 large) eggs, room temperature
- 2 oz. milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 oz. mashed banana (about 3 large bananas), plus 1 banana for topping
- 4 oz. chopped pecans (approximately 1 cup), divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray one 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk until everything is JUST combined.
- Gently fold in the mashed bananas and ¾ cup pecans.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan, filing each cup to the top.
- Slice the remaining banana and lay 2-3 slices on top. Sprinkle remaining pecans evenly over the surface.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
- Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container. To freeze, wrap each muffin in cling wrap and store in a sealed plastic bag.
Muffins are really just a thick pancake batter, so the ingredients are very similar to these. Ripe bananas, eggs, baking powder, chopped pecans, brown sugar, salt, all-purpose flour, butter, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk.
Before we get started on the batter, it’s best to prepare the pan. In this case, I’m spraying a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. You could also use melted butter or cupcake liners. Instead of muffins, feel free to bake this as bread in a loaf pan or tasty jumbo muffins in a 6 cup jumbo muffin pan (the cooking time will need to be increased for these options).
To begin, whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
Melt the butter in a microwaveable bowl or glass measuring cup. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then whisk in the brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until everything is just combined (do not overmix).
Time for the stars of the muffin show! Bananas and pecans. You’ll want to use ripe bananas for this. Does anyone else ever buy bananas and let them sit for days just to make banana muffins or bread? No, okay just me then…
Mash up the bananas really well. I just use a fork to do this.
Then fold these into the batter with the pecans.
Fill each muffin cup to the top. I use a 1/4 measuring cup to help transfer the batter.
Top each muffin with a couple of thinly sliced bananas and the remaining pecans. I love to garnish food with the ingredients they contain. That way everyone knows what they are getting (I’m looking at you oatmeal raisin cookies that pose as chocolate chip… #imposters)
Slide these gems into the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes.
Allow these to cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mmmmm, nothing says good morning like freshly baked muffins!
Enjoy this tower of deliciousness 😀