My absolute favorite pizza of all time! #love
Italian Sausage Pizza
Serves 4; Yields 15 inch round pizza or 16×11 inch rectangle pizza
Total Time: 4 hrs. 30 min
Crust Time: 3 hrs. 35 min
Sauce Time: 40 min
Ingredient Prep: 15 min
- 1 pizza crust
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups tomato pizza sauce
- 8 oz. mild Italian sausage
- ½ Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh Mozzarella, grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade
- Prepare the pizza crust (recipe and steps located here) up through step #11.
- While the pizza dough is rising, make the pizza sauce (recipe here). Keep the sauce in the fridge until needed.
- Brown the Italian sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, approximately 8 minutes. As it cooks, break up the sausage in small pieces. Drain the sausage on paper towels and store in the fridge.
- Once the crust is ready and the oven is preheated to 475 degrees Fahrenheit, brush the crust with olive oil and add the sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sauce, followed by the Italian sausage and onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Top with the parmesan cheese and basil leaves and allow the pizza to rest for 2 minutes before serving.
Okay, here is the topping lineup: parmesan cheese, basil, mozerella cheese, onions, olive oil, and the star of the show, mild Italian sausage!
Prepare the pizza crust up through step #11.
What to do while the pizza crust is rising? Make this pizza sauce, of course! (and ignore the call of dirty dishes… they’ll take care of themselves, right?)
While the sauce is simmering, brown the Italian sausage, grate the parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and chiffonade the basil.
Ahhh, what is better than freshly grated mozzarella? #nom
Chiffonade is really just a fancy word for cutting into ribbons. Stack the basil leaves on top of each other, roll them up, and slice. This will create pretty ribbons, perfect for putting on top of pizza!
All the prep work is done! Yay for multitasking 😀
I store the sauce, sausage, and cheese in the fridge until ready to use.
Oh look! The pizza dough is finally ready and the oven is preheated. Add sauce and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top. This is followed by the Italian sausage and thinly sliced onions.
Now we are ready for the oven!
Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and crispy.
Top with parmesan cheese and basil leaves and allow the pizza to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
Take a look at that! Ahhhh soooo tasty. I hope you enjoy this pizza as much as I do!